How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I adopted two girls from care who were born in

Customer Question

my wife and I adopted two girls from foster care who were born in Puerto Rico. WE live in Pennsylvania where the county children and outh as well as the adpotion hearing took place. We are unable to get birth certificates or SS #s for the girls reflecting their new names. What has to be done at a minimum to enable us to get these documents for the girls?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the adoption court here has closed the matter and refused to pursue the birth certificates with Puerto Rico. We do not have the original certificates only photo copies. My tax refund is being held up by this issue.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

I suggest that you can contact PR.Gov at this link birth certificates can be ordered on line at or by phone through VitalChek’s 24/7 bilingual call center at (866)(###) ###-####/u>. An express processing fee and shipping costs apply for this service. You need the old BC first. And then you will take your court orders for the adoptions with the new names and the original BC to the PA Social Security Office in your area - you can get the SS first with those documents, and then GO TO vital records in your area and present the new SS Cards, the old BC from PR and the court ordered adoptions and get new BC assigned.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

If you already have the original BC from PR because of the adoption process then you can skip that step and take them and the court order for the adoptions to the SS office. I suggest you have to appear in person with a certified copy of the Adoption Orders.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you have the process backwards. First of all, only biological parents can request original birth certificates. Also in my state you cannot get birth certificates if you were not born in that state.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

The original certificate is coming from PR not your state, correct? And do it is not issued by your state. You need the PR original to proceed - regardless of what direction you go in.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

But I will opt out and perhaps another professional will be able to provide you the information. Good luck! Please do not respond here until someone else contacts you and your deposit remains in tact. Thank you

Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning:

I will try to answer your question as best as possible. First you will want to make sure you have a certified copy of the adoption decree. Second you should use the Adoption Decree and Copy of original birth certificate to obtain SS Cards. Next I would advise contacting your state congressman's office's and advise of the problem and the steps you have taken. Congressmen's offices offer constituents services if you live in the area. They can be very helpful to push matters through and expedite the process. An attorney can just provide steps necessary to complete, but general does not have as much pull to push a matter through and expedite as your local congressman's staff does. I would contact your state congressman/representative or state senator first as they are normally more responsive than Federal. Considering your return is being held up this is the advise I would give to my family or friend if asked. I help this is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Related Family Law Questions