How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed divorce with the help of an Attorney in LOS ANGELES

Customer Question

I filed divorce with the help of an Attorney in LOS ANGELES COUNTY . The attorney charged to take care the case and she consulted and wrote the agreement for us which has been denied by the court. She now wants to charge extra money to set up the court hearing. I don't think she did a good job at the first time so don't want her to presenting us anymore. Since I move to Riverside country, can I file a new one there. Will that make the divorce faster?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
You unfortunately cannot file a new divorce case in Riverside County. The case stays where it was originally filed unless both parties move to a different states.
What you can do is review the agreement and any reasons the judge gave for denying it to see if it's possible to redo the agreement and refile or if a trial will be necessary. Revisiting the agreement to see if you can come to a settlement that the judge will agree to may be the fastest way to get the divorce, but it depends on whether you think agreement is possible.
It's a violation of the Rules of Ethical Conduct for one lawyer to represent both parties to a divorce. That may be why the judge denied your settlement. If that is the case, either you would both have to represent yourselves or one of you would have to hire a separate attorney. That attorney can review the separation agreement and try to negotiate something that the judge will approve. If you're not happy with the work your lawyer did, you can absolutely fire her - just be aware that you would have to hire two new lawyers if you want to have representation.
Your lawyer has to formally withdraw from the case before you're able to file documents on your own. But if you decide not to work with her anymore, she can file a Motion to Withdraw, and you and your spouse can request a hearing after that's approved.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.