How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116771
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have used the Name x50+ years. All current SS,Drivers Lic

Customer Question

I have used the Name Jackie Bonita Smith x50+ years. All current SS,Drivers Lic from California, Bank accounts, Medicare, Healthnet, etc. However my Birth certificate is Eula Bonita Fortune--Marrage changed my last name to Smith 40+ years ago. I went to Missouri DMV to get a resident Driver Lic as Jackie Bonita Smith and was told I had to change my name legally otherwise they could only process my name as Eula Bonita Smith. Do I have to change First name thru the courts, or is there another way to get my new drivers license in the same name (Jackie Bonita Smith) for Missouri?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, under MO law, the name on the license must match the birth certificate and/or marriage certificate (for the common law marriage name change). What you are using is called a common law name change or alias and while it is generally acceptable, under the new laws in many states, one can only obtain official documents in the name shown on their birth certificate or marriage license. Changing your name or adding a legal alias (also known as or AKA), is not complicated, but legally you have to do so by filing a petition for name change in the court and in the petition ( you would state that you are asking the court for an order that you may be known as Jackie Bonita Smith and also as Eula Bonita Smith and the court can and will issue the order, as long as it is not for any illegal purpose.

This can be done typically within 30 days of you filing the petition.

Related Family Law Questions