Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

My ex and I are divorced. He is an attorney and he keeps

Customer Question

My ex and I are divorced. He is an attorney and he keeps telling me he is taking me back to court. Under what circumstances can he do this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There are only a few situations where a party to divorce can take the other ex-spouse back to court once the case is finalized.

1. He is paying you alimony and you have remarried or moved in with a new partner.

2. He is paying you alimony and your income has increased to the point where you no longer need it.

3. You have minor children, and something material has changed since the divorce that justifies changing the custody order or support (like you got a 20% raise, or he wants to change custody because there are problems with the schools in your area or something like that).

4. New evidence is discovered that could not have been known at the time of trial - usually meaning someone finds a bank account that was forgotten or hidden or some other asset not mentioned in the divorce.

5. You have violated one or more of the court orders in some way. That is the most common reason, and it most frequently comes up in disputes over how to raise the children, do custody hand-offs, vacations, and things like that.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.