How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9415
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbor has just been released from a mental hospital.

Customer Question

My neighbor has just been released from a mental hospital. She is a loving and caring parent of two sons (16 and 18). Their father and her bought a home maybe 20 years ago together. She is on the loan and title. Their dad had an affair, left, and now has 2 children by another unmarried woman.
When she was released from the hospital, cleared, no danger to herself or any other. And there has been no incident of abuse in the past, she returned to her same home and found the locks have been changed and her "ex" will not allow her access to the home nor a key.
IF,IF she tries to enter they have threatened to "call the cops and you'll be taken away again". I know this is wrong and her deadbeat ex wants the home for his new family. I also know that he does not have the right to change the locks as they bought the place together and she and her sons have been living there, alone, since he walked out.
So what can she do? thanks her heart is broken.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

In which State is the property located?

Has she tried calling the police?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
California. And no it was the police who took her away and it was her sons' under their dad's advice who called. She was released today and took the cab back to what she thought was her home. Her sons, on their dad advice, threatened her that they were going to call the police and send her back to the mental ward. It's sick. He wants that house. thanks for answering I'm broken hearted, I have two sons too..this is so wrong, so sick. denise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Their "dad" lives with his new girlfriend and their 2 kids at his mom's house. His older son, 18, now lives alone, drinking beer and smoking pot, alone in the home . He is the "official" guardian of the home for the father who walked out on him so many years ago.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.

Was she 5150ed or did she go to the ward voluntarily?

Which County is this in?

Is she disabled in any way?

Is she 65 or older?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if she was 5150 but as I worked at a police department for most of my career she was. She is not disabled any way. She is a very pretty girl, 45, kind loving and just does not deserve this. He walked out and she has been there every single day. Los Angeles county, Lakewood to be specific, just 3 houses north of me. For her to come home to see her sons and to be threatened like that is sick. She couldn't stop crying. I get that
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.

I'm not clear on whether or not she was involuntarily committed, please clarify.

Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.

Is she divorced?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If this is a plan to get me to pay 52 dollars please don't reply. No not voluntary. No not divorced. Never married but did have
two sons and bought the house together.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you knew her then, before he walked out, you would know, and understand what this family has been going through. For their dad to poison them has destroyed all of them and I have had to watch. Sick and today, after she has been removed, to come home because she wants to see her sons, as all mother's do, to on the advice of their "dad" who didn't care that he broke all their hearts is more than I can understand. She is so fragile. He has taken everything and she is left with nothing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Instead of "go to answers" shouldn't this site be called " if you don't want to pay 52.dollars , "Go to questions"? U obviously forgot why you wanted to be a lawyer in the first place.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.

She needs to lawyer up. It sounds like the local police are not doing their job of protecting her from her abusive land grabbing ex.

There are shelters listed at

She can get a free consultation from some f the attorneys listed at

She probably qualifies to get a domestic violence restraining order and that would be the quickest way to get her back in possession of her home. What he did to her was abusive and illegal.

Please have her follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
N Cal Attorney
do you have a name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
go figure
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
I have a few names.