Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My brother was accused of molesting s daughter when she was

Customer Question
My brother was accused of...
My brother was accused of molesting his daughter when she was little, but never convicted. He was told he could only see her if visitation was supervised by someone not related to him. My niece is now 21 and wants to see her father. Does the visit still have to be supervised?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/26/2015
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good evening. Who told him this regarding supervised visitation? Was there anything court ordered?

It was ordered by the department of children and family services. My niece was about 10 at the time. Her maternal aunt, who she lives with, told her that even if she was 80 years old, she could never see her father without supervision.

He needs to obtain a copy of the order. He should not rely on what the Aunt says, since she is not an attorney nor works with the Department. If he was never convicted and there was no court order, the restriction could have been while the matter was pending or while she was a minor. Now, as an adult, she can decide if she wants to have contact with her brother.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer