How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38901
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What type of court order is needed to access funds that have

Customer Question

What type of court order is needed to access funds that have been taken by a spouse during divorce?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


The typical means of dealing with this circumstance is bring a motion for an emergency restraining order against the other spouse, to order the spouse to return the funds to the account from which they were removed, and then to order the bank to freeze the account until the court makes further orders.

If the spouse refuses to return the funds, then the court can hold the spouse in contempt, and place him/her in jail until he/she complies with the court order.

The procedural requirements vary by state jurisdiction -- so, there's no "one-size-fits-all" do it yourself answer.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Dependent upon the state jurisdiction, there may be some forms available that could be used to bring the motion. If you would like me to do some research for you, I will send you an additional services offer, and we can discuss the matter confidentially.

Related Family Law Questions