How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26810
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was molested in 1980 -1983 when I was 11 years by my 14-15

Customer Question

I was molested in 1980 -1983 when I was 11 years by my 14-15 year old brother. Can i take him to court or civil court for his actions since he recently he confess to doing it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

Unfortunately, almost every state has statutes of limitations. These are laws that determine how old a case can get before would be considered too old to be prosecuted. The criminal statute of limitations for sex offenses in North Dakota has long run out. You'd have 7 years from when you (the victim) turned 15 in order to report the crime. The civil statute of limitations is 6 years on a personal injury suit, dating from the time of the incident.

These are the statutes of limitations in 2015. The one that would apply is the statute of limitations in effect at the time of the crimes in 1983. Those old statutes are not available on the web, but it's a pretty safe bet that if they are different they would be shorter rather than longer, because these kinds of offenses were not in the national limelight back then. So you can and should report the crime to the police just in case the old statute works in your favor. But I am unfortunately pretty confident you'll be told that it's too late for you to do anything after all of these years, regardless of the fact that he recently confessed. You as the victim never needed his confession to have come forward and reported the crime long ago.

Related Family Law Questions