How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19297
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband file I just got serve. We have 2 kids and I'm

Customer Question

My husband file for divorce I just got serve . We have 2 kids and I'm 5 months pregnant. I found out he lost his job because of an affair with a coworker. How will this affect me and my kids economic. Thanks, Maria
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If he does not have a job, it would be difficult for the Court to order him to pay alimony and child support. However, if he has assets, the Court will order him to use the assets to support you and the children. He has obligation to support you and the children. So, eventhough, he is currently unemployed, he may have assets that can be garnished to get support for you and the children. Also, he must be looking for work. Otherwise, the Court would order him to pay support based on the amount that he should be making, but is not making because he is refusing to look for work.

California is a community property state. So, assets that he or you acquired after the marriage would be divided 50/50.