How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is wanting to send her kid to come live with me

Customer Question

My friend is wanting to send her kid to come live with me can we get a power of attorney for a child and if so do we both need to be in front of the same notary in the same state and if we get it notrized in fl will it work in va
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You would need a Guardianship/custody in order to enroll the child in school in Virginia. Power of Attorney would not be sufficient. The school is not going to recognize the Power of Attorney because it is not from the Court. You would need a formal custody arrangement in order to avoid issues with the school system. So, with her (his) consent, you need to Petition for Guardianship of the Minor Child/Custody of the Minor at the Courthouse in the State where the child currently resides. The forms are available online at the Court's website or the Clerk's Office. Click here for Florida Court forms.

As for the execution of Power of Attorney, the only signature that is needed is the one who is giving the Power, your friend's signature. See Florida Statues Chapter 709 Section(###) ###-####

Power of Attorney properly executed in Florida is valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Related Family Law Questions