Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

Does an existing Will need to be completely rewritten to

Customer Question

Does an existing Will need to be completely rewritten to accommodate change in beneficiaries? Change is agreeable (Notarized by all children) listed in original Will.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Generally a will does not need to be completely re-written if the change is fairly simple and straightforward. For that you can simply draft a 'codicil', which is a document that is used as a replacement for section or sections in the will. But if the changes are fairly substantial or are otherwise confusing to follow, then a rewrite is probably best--remember that this is designed for the person who will act as executor, so if they have a hard time understanding the changes, or the language is confusing and ambiguous, the executor cannot really perform his duties properly and there is a basis to potentially challenge or even throw out the will if the language is unclear.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.