How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30393
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old son is getting married to s 14 year old

Customer Question

My 17 year old son is getting married to his 14 year old girlfriend but she turns 15 in 2 weeks & she is pregnant. Her mom keeps trying to get her to abort her baby and she want to keep i, but once my son & her get married she doesnt have to abort the
baby. My question is that after they are married and after the child is born can her mother take the baby away from her? and if she can what paper do we have to do so the baby goes over to me before her mother gets the baby?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about this situation.

No, the mother cannot take the baby away from the girl. The parents of a child by default have custody, even if they are minors themselves. The grandparents do not have any legal ability to take a child over the parent's objection - if she tried, it would be kidnapping. For the other grandmother to do anything, she'd have to file a Petition to have BOTH your son and his girlfriend declared unfit parents, which requires something more than just their ages. That requires a court proceeding, so if she tried that, you'd be able to intervene and show the judge why you should get custody instead (if the parents are found unfit - but they'll have a right to establish that they aren't). If for any reason Child Services is called to investigate by the other grandmother, you'll be able to talk to them.

The parents can also draft and sign something stating they want you to have custody in the event that something happens to them, but that typically refers to their untimely deaths while their child's a minor and not the type of situation you're talking about.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.