How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a blended family. My husband and I both have children

Customer Question

I have a blended family. My husband and I both have children from our previous marriages, none together. He is younger than I and in great health. I fear that if I die first, he will remarry with no regard for my children losing their half of our estate. Can I draft a legal will just for my half to leave it to my children rather than my husband and will it override any previous document which states "full rights of survivorship"?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can indeed draft a will that would provide for your children, but you cannot override any deeds or accounts that state "with full right of survivorship" because that means immediately on your death it goes right to the survivor and does not go to the estate for distribution. So in order to provide for your children you have to remove the survivorship designation and you need to have a will that provides for them to have a share OR you have to put the property in a trust that provides for all of the children to have a share in the property and assets.