How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4823
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i get my childs father to pay child support when i

Customer Question

how do i get my childs father to pay child support when i cannot locate him
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
If you cannot locate him, it is impossible to use any of the standard collection methods, like a wage garnishment. In order to collect, you have to have some idea of the person's assets, employment, bank accounts, etc. If you don't know any of those things, I'm not sure what you'd try to collect on. The court can't just make money appear from an unknown source. Also, you have to establish paternity, which you have to locate him to do if you weren't married when the child was born. My suggestion would be to contact your state's attorney general's child support division. They have methods of locating a person that you don't.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.