How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 44 years old but when I was 18 I enrolled in an

Customer Question

I am 44 years old but when I was 18 I enrolled in an expensive university and didn't understand money and debt. My father had told me not to worry about expenses because he was going to pay for it but after I dropped out in my second year, my father stopped paying without telling me. I found out in my late 20s when the government took my tax returns for non payment of student loans. My father said he had no idea how much he paid and what the balance was but they only took my taxes for 2 years and then that was the last I heard about it. He did mention that a letter was served to me at his house for me to go to court, but he signed for it and then threw it away. I am now trying to enroll in college but they want all of my college transcripts (even those that I'm not transferring credit from) and the university that I went to when I was 18 will not release my transcript, they want me to contact their loan department. I have no idea how much I could owe - it could be as little as $300 or as high as $15,000. If it's on the low end then I would definitely pay it off but if it's on the high end, I can't afford it. Is there a statute of limitation on collecting this debt? If I get in touch with them to see how much it is, am I then obligated to pay it off? How much trouble am I in?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
It sounds like this was a government-backed student loan. If so, there is no statute of limitations for the government to enforce the debt. I am sorry.
To find out how much is owed, one can check one's credit report - the loan is no doubt on there. You can go to and sign up (it is free) to access your credit history from two major bureaus, which should have the loan's total mount due.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have checked my credit report several different times and it is not on there. I believe that the student loan portion was covered by the garnishment of my taxes. I think what is owed is tuition billed directly by the university.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
In that case, you can call the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service at 1-***-***-**** (or visit and talk with an advocate. They should be able to tell you the identity of the party that has ordered the garnishment. You can then contact them directly to find out the outstanding amount.(In fact, the advocate may be able to tell you this as well).
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Related Family Law Questions