How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my wife were Married through a civil ceremony a year

Customer Question

Me and my wife were Married through a civil ceremony a year ago. We regret doing it this way and are looking to Marry in church. She wants the date changed on our marriage license to reflect what she views as the true wedding day. How can I have this done?
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 2 years ago.

Hello there -


Unless you are willing to apply for an annulment or a divorce and then remarry again with a church official conducting the ceremony, you cannot simply change the dates on marriage certificates like that. I understand completely where your wife is coming from on this, because my husband and I married in a civil ceremony in late 1984 so he could apply for citizenship paperwork (he was from Ireland) and then both families pressured us to marry in the Catholic church -- the priest was very understanding and we had a large church wedding in the fall of 1986 and everything worked out fine. However, if you want to go the route of trying to get an annullment or a divorce you can speak to a local lawyer about making it happen (it takes about six months) and then you can remarry both civilly and in the church of your choice at the same time.