How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen and live in the Philippines. My husband

Customer Question

I am a US citizen and live in the Philippines. My husband (Filipino) and I are adopting a child locally as I qualify under Filipino law. There is one document in which I cannot find out how to obtain... 'Possess a certification of legal capacity to adopt issued by the appropriate government agency from your state of residence.'
There is almost nothing on the web on how to obtain this. I have checked the US Embassy page from Manila to see if I can get it under the American Citizen services section but nothing on how to obtain it. This is one of the final papers in which we need to obtain yet cannot figure out how to do it. I've written to the US Embassy but no reply from them.
Can you help tell me how to apply for this document so I can complete my requirements to the Philippines court to proceed with our adoption?
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This is something you have to get from your state's Child Protection Agency, because it is not something typically issued unless it is an adoption done through CPS and they have to conduct an interview and a criminal background check to determine you are qualified and fit to adopt. SO you need to go through the state where you last resided and you need to have their CPS do the investigation to issue the certificate.

Related Family Law Questions