How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my fiancé got married last Saturday. he is in prison

Customer Question

me and my fiancé got married last Saturday. he is in prison and the chaplain was supposed to get the marriage license but did not. we live in nc and now we are unable to get a license in that state bc we are considered married but do not have the proof. is there anyway I can get around this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
But I need clarification so bear with me, please
You got married last Saturday? And that was before he went to prison?
Where did you get married and who married you? You had a license at that time, correct?
Why do you need a license now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did not have a license before the wedding. it was performed at the prison with a minister and 2 witnesses. I paid a minister to marry us. the chaplain was supposed to take care of the paperwork but did not tell me I had to get the license from that county. now that county knows what happened and will not issue a license.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I see. Well, a license can only be issued if both parties are present. And so you would need to talk to the clerk and request a time to have a tele/video conference with your fiance' so that an application can be made for the license. That way, the license can be issued and a real and legally binding ceremony can take place. At this point you do not have a valid marriage.

But the clerk will not issue a license without both parties present. They do allow the video conferencing that can be scheduled at a convenient time for all. You will be at the clerk's office, your fiance' will attest to the facts for the application from prison via a video conference.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.