How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3461
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thirty days ago my sister received a court document naming

Customer Question

Thirty days ago my sister received a court document naming her the respondent and her ex-husband the petitioner, to allow him to stop paying child support to their 19 yr. old son, and for her to pay her ex's attorney fees! Their son has severe mental illness & behavioral problems. Now that he is an adult, and my sister is not legally his guardian, nor his caretaker, etc. She is only a mother trying to work and make ends meet while caring for her son, making sure he takes his meds on time and gets to school and appointments on time. The child support payment checks are made to her son. My sister is completely destitute and cannot afford an attorney. She is breaking down crying nearly everyday and doesn't know what to do or where to turn. Her ex-husband is a wealthy businessman and will stop at nothing to crush her. He has chosen to not even visit their son in ten years. My sister and her ex-husband both live in the Portland, Oregon area. Can you offer any advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's issue. She really needs to find a way to get an attorney. I believe that child support may continue past the age of majority in Washington if the child is disabled. I'm going to see what I can find and get back to you.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My sister, her son, and her ex live in Oregon. Thank you.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

I did find a statute that may help. It's Oregon State statute 109.010, which reads:

109.010 Duty of support. Parents are bound to maintain their children who are poor and unable to work to maintain themselves; and children are bound to maintain their parents in like circumstances.

Although this doesn't say "disabled" per say, it does say that parents have an obligation to support their children who can not support themselves. I believe with at attorney your sister can use the statute to make the argument that support should continue as long as the child is disabled enough not to be able to care for themselves.

I hope this helps!

If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.