How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118788
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently am paying back child support arrears via Income

Customer Question

I currently am paying back child support arrears via Income deduction order. This happened very early on so the interest is ridiculous. Does FL Dept of Revenue collect the interest as well or does the court have it tied to the judgement? Is there a way to get the interest waived? I owe back 23K which I am paying back but it is 39K with the interest.
I also all through when the children were minors covered their health insurance when my ex was responsible. I did it because I had the better insurance options. Is there a way to go after a credit for this?
Thanks for your help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the FL DOR will collect all of the arrears, interest as well. The only way to get the interest waived, quite honestly, is if the recipient parent agrees to waive the interest. The parent can file a motion with the court to waive the interest, but unless the other parent agrees to waive the interest the court will not do so.
If you covered the children for insurance when the order said your ex had to cover them and you did not ask the court for reimbursement at the time, the court is not going to likely credit you, but you can indeed ask the court for credit based on your spouse's contempt of the court order for not paying for insurance. If it has been more than 1 year though, the court is likely to refuse saying you waited too long to ask for the reimbursement.