How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27545
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my husband and I first married he purchased a gun to go

Customer Question

When my husband and I first married he purchased a gun for us to go competition shooting with. It is registered in my name in another state (we are a military family), however against a court order he removed it and other items from our house when he moved
from our home. What is my obligation to report that item not in my possession? We are currently still married, but I filed for the divorce prior to the incident. I don't know what law applies either, we lived in Maryland at purchase and are current residents
of Texas.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, the court order specifically said the gun was yours and he was not to remove it from the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is just registered in my name and I don't want any liability for it. Texas is a community property state, so technically everything is ours regardless of physical ownership. Mainly, I don't want the liability.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IE: I don't know where it is since he took it. It could be in a storage unit somewhere, or at a friends house. I have no idea.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, if it is in your name, you certainly do not want it to fall into the wrong hands or have something done with it, that could fall back on you. As such, you first want to contact him and advise him of the situation. Simply share that the gun is to be returned and if not, you are calling the police. You can do that and report it, that he took it and it is in your name and not in the home, so it is documented. Then, you can contact the State where the gun was registered and report it to them as well. Moreover, if the court order did not allow him to remove items and he did, he could be in violation and you could hold him in contempt of court and take him back to court, in front of the Judge, to explain why he did this and the Judge can compel him to return the gun.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a long time ago that it was registered. Is there anyway I can double check that it is in my name? It is what I remember, but just to be sure.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

You would need to call the State where it was registered to confirm. If it is still under your name, it would be in the system, so that you could confirm this.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!