How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help with a name change petition in Nevada (the

Customer Question

I need help with a name change petition in Nevada (the process seems similar to other states) I initiated an adult name change for myself that has gone uncontested through the 3 weeks publication process. Everything was done online but now I am invited
to come to a hearing as the judge, I am told doesn't sign any change of name order without a hearing. I am told it is only 2 or 3 minutes. Two questions: 1) how essential for me to have a lawyer to accompany me to the hearing, and 2) the reason stated in the
petition are: preference preference and accurate spelling to reflect my name in my original language. Are these reasons enough? Can I expand on additional reasons: one main reason is that if you google my name it comes associated with sex industry which I
have nothing to do with and hurts me for my job search. Maybe I should stick to my initial stated reasons in the petition. Thanks for any guidance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
There is really no need for you to retain an attorney to attend the name change hearing with you.
The judge wants to see that you are who you claim to be, make a couple of inquiries to confirm that you realize that once the name is ***** ***** will have to use that name for all legal purposes.
It is not necessary to give another new r44ason for wanting the change. The fact is that unless you intend to defraud someone by changing your name, you are legally entitled to change it---regardless of your reason.
I do not foresee any problem whatsoever and your name change hearing should go smoothly---even without an attorney. All the attorney would do is stand there.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,