How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102145
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and i got married just a few months ago on June

Customer Question

My husband and i got married just a few months ago on June 4th. I left his home due to some abuse that took place and he promised to sign the divorce papers. I paid for the paperwork to be drawn up and now because i have some more money than him he is refusing to sign the papers. What is my next step? He is moving soon and i don't know where to go but i need to go before i cant find him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
1) Understand that a divorce may be uncontested, or contested. Uncontested means that all parties agree on everything and sign off on the documentation together. This is what you were attempting to do.
2) Contested means that one party does not agree to divorce or cannot agree to a division of property agreement. If so, then the Petitioner (i.e. party that files the divorce) can STILL serve them process of service (i.e. the "divorce papers") and then continue with the divorce.
3) Even if they do not agree to the divorce, as long as they are SERVED, the divorce will go on and will be finalized eventually, whether they like it or not.
4) At any time, the other party (Respondent) can agree to the division of property and the matter would again be uncontested. As long as they do not agree, it remains contested. If the parties cannot agree to the division of property, the Court will enforce a division based on default rules, which means a division of 50/50 as much as possible of the community assets (if any).
5) If the Respondent cannot be found to be served, the Court may allow an alternative service via things like publication, for example, in a newspaper. Once the Respondent does not reply in time, then the Court would deem him as having defaulted and continue the divorce without him.
6) See here for more:
Counsel is recommended, but not mandatory.
Good luck.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Family Law Questions