How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27988
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandaughters live with me and my son has full custody

Customer Question

My grandaughters live with me and my son has full custody but is is on drugs. What can I do to get custody from him
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon. Has your son tried taking them back? How long have their lived with you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2.5 years, this is his address also but he was working out of state until 5 weeks ago
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. If you want to gain custody of the children, you would need to petition the court and have it ordered. As the moving party, the burden would be on you to show it is in the best interest of the children, to be in your care and custody and not that of the father. In this case, the drug use would be key. You want to gather and present evidence to show the Judge that the father is a drug user and can not properly care for the children and could pose a risk, threat and danger to them. As such, until he cleans up his act and can properly parent, the children should be retained by you.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!