How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2509
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend (common law) and I are considering letting her

Customer Question

Hello, my girlfriend (common law) and I are considering letting her daughter ( my step daughter ) go live with her dad full time and visit us on weekends - currently she lives with us full time and visits him on weekends and he pays us $500/month - there are no official custody agreements as it was settled out of court amiably - he says he doesn't want any money from us or her - I want to know if we allow this to happen if he could reneg at any time and come after us for child support ? Could we sign a personal agreement / contract that would negate this ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 years ago.

Waivers of child support in domestic contracts are not enforceable at all and courts routinely ignore those clauses.

Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 years ago.

So, yes, he could renege if he chose to. That doesn't mean he will, but he can.

Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any other questions?