How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In, wife makes larger income and provides health insurance.

Customer Question

In Virginia, wife makes larger income and provides health insurance for husband. They are separated, not seeking divorce, but wife wants to stop providing health coverage for husband. Can she legally do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Generally speaking each spouse is required to support the other. But that support is based on necessity, which means that if the other husband is able to purchase his own insurance legally, she can indeed drop him from coverage. She cannot drop him from coverage if he is financially unable to provide his own support, or if the separation agreement clearly states that she is responsible for his medical insurance until divorce is granted. Otherwise there is no law forcing her to keep him under coverage.


Dimitry, Esq.