How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filling application today and I'm the bride. In our

Customer Question

Hi, I am filling application for marriage today and I'm the bride. In our culture, after marriage, my spouse's first name becomes my last name unlike in USA, the spouse's last name becomes the bride's last name.can you please advise what I should do in order to make this happen seamlessly? Please advise, thanks! Shaayine
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shaayine

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. In reviewing the laws and the application for a marriage license, it appears there is no way that the person performing the marriage can make a return of the license properly with those name changes.

Unfortunately, the registrars office is correct. You would need to file to have the name changes via the courts after the marriage certificate is return to you.

You can do it on your own, by getting the name change documents from the Clerk of the Court in the county where you will be residing. I wish there was something easier in this regard.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After i get the marriage certificate is there a specific form that you can tell me that i should ask for the court. Are there any charges involved in just this first process of name changing? Please tell me if there is anything that i should keep in mind or be proactive about in this process to make it effective or avoid any unwanted inconvenience. Thank you!
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.


Thank you. Once you get the Certificate back from the courts - and that will be returned to you after the person performing the marriage has returned the Marriage License attesting the ceremony has been completed - and so once you get your Marriage Certificate back from the courts, I suggest you will then be able to file the Petition for the Name Change.

You can review this LINK to learn more of that proceeding as well as see the Petition that needs to be filed