How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mkc1959 Your Own Question
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 616
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mkc1959 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife gave me our children 4 years ago. I did not know

Customer Question

My ex wife gave me our children 4 years ago. I did not know I needed to modify our divorce decree so they would stop charging me child support. She just took the children back and I find out I owe her $50k. I don't know where to begin to resolve this issue. Nobody at the courts will tell me anything. They all say we can't give you legal advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

I can only be honest with you. You are in a very difficult legal position. Child support arrearages generally cannot be changed. You need to get with a local attorney as soon as possible. I have no idea whether your ex wife will cooperate or not. The attorney will have to plead equity as the strict law again generally does not allow the court to provide any relief.

Related Family Law Questions