CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Dhs has taking my grandkids and put them in care, they would

Customer Question

dhs has taking my grandkids and put them in foster care, they would not let us see them, it has been a year now we want to file for guardianship, the case is still going on and they dhs wants to have them adopted out but, we the grandparents want them, what can we do? Are we to late? the case worker will not work with us, she knows we want the kids we have had a house inspection and passed, we want to know what are rights are please. The kids are 3 and 4 and are split up in different foster homes. My son has done everything he can to get them back but they are opting for adoption, they say we have no rights to this case because we were not in the beginning, but they wont let us be apart of it frustrated if you have anything that can help please let us know. Thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Dear Customer, I am very sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately, these matters are highly fact dependent (meaning it requires a review of your facts and circumstances in order to better advise you on what your rights and arguments are.

Furthermore, dealing with the bureaucracy of DHS and the probate court is overwhelming for most.

If you really want to get custody of your grandchildren, go hire a lawyer. (I know customers don't come here to be told this, but I also want to tell you what the best possible option you have to get custody of these two young children will be, anything less would be a disservice to you).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

The sooner you hire your own attorney, the better the chance of getting a guardianship, and perhaps adoption order for these children.