How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102162
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe child support; Principal $35,072.92 and Interest

Customer Question

I owe child support; Principal $35,072.92 and Interest $26,642.90 Grand Total $61,715.82 I was wondering how do I negotiate with the Texas Attorney General on back child support I know I own them and want to pay and they have seized by checking account and put my account in jeopardy, and they have charged me NSF charges because of that and I'm wondering can I get legal help or do I deal with the Texas Attorney General on my own.
Waiting on Answer;
Contact me
James Beecham ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
1) First, if the other parent agrees to reduce/eliminate the arrears in exchange for a lump sum payment, then the AG has to do what the parent wants. If possible, one may wish to communicate with the parent directly.
2) Otherwise, the AG may negotiate under the Texas Payment Incentive Pilot Program. Under this section, obligors who voluntarily enroll in the program will receive a matching credit (in an amount determined by the agency) for every dollar they pay towards arrears during each month they are eligible to participate. These credits will be conditioned on the obligor fully and timely meeting any current support obligations. This new program will allow for obligors to see immediate matching credits on their pay records for qualifying payments made each month and does not require court involvement for obligors to participate. See Tex. Fam. Code Section 231.124 et seq and the following link:
3) Regardless, using counsel is best as this usually guarantees best results.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.