How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an uncontested divorce. I agree to pay $50 a month to

Customer Question

I have an uncontested divorce.
I agree to pay $50 a month to my soon to b ex wife on the divorce settlement. This personal credit card is closed, so she own that money before we got into divorce. in january 2014 she lied that the back demended payments of $50 dollars a month starting inmediately. So I put on the settlement I will pay $50 starting january 2014. We never filed for divorce. A year and a half later she finally signed a settlement. I then learned she aranged to start makings payments just march this year. Too late I got my index nunber and the settlement is signed and rady, but the date to start paying her credit card (is not a shared cc) still January 2014.
Question: When I file she can put a judgment on me for the $1000 I allegedly owe her due to my mistKe of not removing the date 2014. In otherwords can the court order me to pay right away? if I dont pay her credit card debth can can happened to me? Im in food stamps and I just found a part time job b
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you put in the agreement that payments were from January 2014, you can be held liable for those payments if you did not make them UNLESS you can prove that 2014 was a typographical error and you intended it to be 2015. You would have to argue that since the divorce was just filed it makes no sense that you would agree to payments prior to the filing of the divorce AND she did not make payments until March 2015, so the 2014 was merely a typographical error. Also, since it was not signed until recently that would be another part of your defense to her claims, it makes no sense to go back to January 2014 when it was only just now signed. That is your defense to her claims if she is going to pursue the money and it is up to you making those arguments to the court as to whether the court will agree to you paying from 2015 or not, since you signed the agreement that said 2014.

Related Family Law Questions