How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31692
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I had a child with a man while I lived in Tennessee after

Customer Question

If I had a child with a man while I lived in Tennessee after 3 years of dating not living together.
I moved to North Carolina while he was incarcerated.
I filed to have him removed from parental rights as he has never supported me or the baby.
should I continue with filing paper work in Tennessee or can I have it moved to North Carolina?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney licensed in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

IF you filed in Tennessee, you could continue there instead of trying to transfer the case since the TN court had jurisdiction at the time you filed the matter. However, if it would be more convenient for you to move the case to your current state and county, you could ask the TN court to transfer the case. As long as your son has lived in the NC county for at least 6 months, he should be considered a resident there and the proceedings should be transferrable from TN to NC.

So, it really boils down to whether you'd prefer to continue in TN or to transfer the matter to you should be able to do either.