How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29993
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband needs/wants to know if a child whom is 10 years

Customer Question

My husband needs/wants to know if a child whom is 10 years old now may be his. His girlfriend at the time left him when she found out she was pregnant because she said she knew the child was not his. Years later she contacts him telling him the child is his. This has been going on for years. She tells him it is, and then she tells him is not. He really wants to know for sure, either to put it all behind, or to get involved in the child's life. What can he do? She refuses to do a DNA test.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's situation.
He has the right to file a Petition to Establish Parental Rights, asking the judge to order her to present the child for a DNA test. If he IS the father, the judge will set up a visitation schedule (if he wants) and determine child support. Some counties may have forms that will help with this. Check the website for the county in your area or call them.
If he prefers not to file a lawsuit, he can contact the state Department of Child Support Services, tell them that he thinks he might be the father of a child, and ask them to do paternity testing for him. They will also set up a support order if he turns out to be the father. He can call or email for more information.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions