How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just left my boyfriend because I found out he beat s

Customer Question

I just left my boyfriend because I found out he beat his ex-wife. He says I owe him $1200, which I don't. I live on the Flathead Indian Reservation in Montana and and he live in a town north of me in MT. He tried to take me to civil claims but because i WOULDN'T go to Kalispell voluntarily, he said his attorney is going to put a lien on my pickup. I contest the amount he said I owe. Can they do this to me in Montana.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

If he files a suit, and the court finds in his father, yes a lien can be placed on your property

However, if he files a lawsuit you will need to be served/delivered the papers and on them will be a hearing date. You would want to appear at the hearing to dispute his claim. If you do not appear at the hearing, the court will go ahead and find in his favor in default of your appearance. You do not need an attorney to appear in Small Claims court.

So if you missed your court date, the attorney for your ex can file the documents to place a lien on your property.

You can review this LINK for more information on how small claims court works

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.

Thank you