Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Family Law. When the court set my child support, I was

Family Law. When the court set...
Family Law.
When the court set my child support, I was providing and paying for my daughters healthcare insurance. This , and my low income, resulted in there being no child support ordered by the court. As a kindness, I have made a payment of $100 a month to my daughters mother the past four years. When the AHCA came into law, I was no longer able to buy my daughters insurance because she qualified for Medicaid in FL.
I tried repeatedly to enroll her , only to be told I could not. My question is this:
If my daughters mother so chooses, can she go to court and get a judgement for the roughly $100 a month I WOULD have owed form the time I lost my daughters insurance due to the vagaries of AHCA?
I have transfered $100 into her bank account each and every month to this day.
The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering requesting a hearing re: a disagreement over where to send her to VPK.
It seems the real matter is this. If family court child support amount is set and a circumstance changes, who, if anyone, is obligated to inform the court? The obligator or obligatee? If the parties involved are satisfied with the changed circumstance what takes precedent the original order or the changed circumstance? Does she need a court order to change the judgement or did the change of circumstance automatically change the judgement and hence, obligate me to additional child support without any request from the other party?
8/15/2015
Michael J, Esq.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

Usually, the obligor is ordered specifically in the child support order to notify the court of a change in circumstances regarding payment. If the Order does not specifically say that you have to notify the court, you probably can't be held in contempt for not doing so. Also, the change of circumstances does not automatically change the judgment - the obligee will have to motion the court for a new order based on the change. The original Order always takes precedent; parties can not contract around a standing order.

I hope this helps!

If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.

Michael

Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer