How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4827
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About two week ago, a friend of mine had her two children

Customer Question

About two week ago, a friend of mine had her two children (ages 3 and 6) taken away from her because of a complaint that she was using drugs. She has tested negative for drug use. They tell her that she has to go to court. She does not have access to her cousler a lawyer or her children. What can she do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

When is her court date? Can she afford an attorney?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She does not know her court date. Her funds are limited.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

The first and most critical thing she needs to do is call the court or CPS and find out when her first court date is. She cannot, under any circumstance, miss that court appearance. At that hearing, she may ask the judge to appoint her a lawyer if she cannot afford one. Much like in a criminal case, a person who's children have been removed by the state has a right to a lawyer, even if they cannot afford one. At that point, she can begin the process of finding out what evidence the state is using to keep her children, and hopefully negotiate a plan to get them back. Of course, that all depends on what the state says they have against her and their reasons for removal.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.