Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

After a Dependent is no longer in the system, are there any

Customer Question
laws that give them additional...
After a Dependent is no longer in the system, are there any laws that give them additional services?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/14/2015
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. What do you mean when you say that the dependent is no longer in the system? What system?
2. What services was the Dependent receiving while they were in the system?
Doug
Child Protection
Case management based on court orders.
Thank You.
Thanks for the information.
Is this child now out of the system, as you wrote about, or is your question seeking information that may be useful when the child is emancipated and on their own?
If there is a worker still assigned to his matter, then it appears that he is still in the "system", yes?
Doug
The individual in question is out there the system.
There is no active worker.
The young man has some emotional issues.
I see, and how old is this young man?
Is he employed and able to financially support himself or is he living with someone who is providing support for him?
I ask for this information because in CA the sort of benefits/services that he might be in need of need are often provided based on his income and assets.
Doug
He is not employed. He is22 chronologically. 17 emotionally.
God Bless
Good afternoon,
Emotional issues are best dealt with by the mental health providers in the state.
Your grandson may be eligible for free mental health care, as well as free medical care through the California Medi-Cal system---which is essentially Medicaid that is processed through the state.
There are a couple of ways that your grandson may qualify for the help that he needs.
The first way to qualify is though being indigent. As he is unemployed, he may live with family and if that so the case, then the income of the family will determine his eligibility. Here is a link to a chart that shows qualifying incomes based on the number of family members he may live with:
http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/Pages/DoYouQualifyForMedi-Cal.aspx
Another way to qualify would be if he can be determined to be disabled. The definition of disabled used by CA is the same as is used by social security.
"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:
• You cannot do work that you did before;
• Social Security decides that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical/mental condition(s); and
• Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
If he is living on his own with little or no income, he would also likely qualify for food stamps (SNAP Program) and possibly SSI---again if he is determined to be disabled.
Finally, pretty much every CA County has a County Mental Health Services Department and this would be a great place to start in terms of getting your grandson help.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law