Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am getting a divorce. I just found out my husband spent

Customer Question
I am getting a divorce...
I am getting a divorce. I just found out my husband spent our community funds on hookers. Does he have to pay me back that money?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/14/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
This is at the discretion of the Court. More often that not, the Court is not going to make one pay back the money per se, however, the division of property may be favored towards the innocent party, and, decisions for alimony may also be affected by his actions.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
I discovered the information by logging in to his email accounts. Is this information allowed? We are not going to court. We settled through mediation. He also had an affair. He was required to pay me back the money he spent on the affair. Should I confront him? More than anything I want him to know that I know.
Did you have shared access to his email accounts? Or did you steal/hack the password(s)?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
I guessed the password
Passwords. There are three accounts, all the same password.
Thank you. Guessing as a means to access still means hacking. Hacking into someone else's account even if a spouse's is illegal in CA under Cal. Penal Code § 502.
As such, it may not be the best thing to disclose how one knows about the prostitution if this may lead to an understanding that the password ***** hacked.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
He knows that I have logged in to his account. He is not happy about it. I want him to know that I know.
Okay. Well then if one chooses to disclose this information about hacking into another's account, this is their choice.
I discovered the information by logging in to his email accounts. Is this information allowed?We are not going to court. We settled through mediation. He also had an affair. He was required to pay me back the money he spent on the affair. Should I confront him? More than anything I want him to know that I know.
I would be wary of acknowledging breaking the law and perhaps it may be best not to use this as evidence. However, this is your decision.
Ely, Counselor at Law