How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 39043
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Interstate child support case against me from

Customer Question

I have a Interstate child support case against me from Minnesota which is enforced in GA. The interstate has been closed for some years now. If that is the case, why is the GA not closed and money returned to me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.


Have you contacted Georgia child support services? If yes, then what did they tell you, if anything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My Lawyer just sent them this file..I really need to know if this should be closed on GA as well.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

Okay, thanks.

Yes, the case should be closed, unless there is some amount of arrears which has not been collected or distributed.

Frankly, child support enforcement agencies are provided with incentive payments from the federal government to continue collecting child support. The amount is between 5-15% of the amount collected and distributed. Consequently, GA DCSS has no particular incentive to close your case, as long as there is any possibility that you may still be obligated for support.

If you are not obligated for any further support or arrears, and GA DCSS refuses to close the case, then you would have to petition the Superior Court for an order against DCSS (termed "writ of mandate"). This could be costly, and may not be worth the effort. But, it's legally possible, if you have no other alternative.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!