How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9366
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

99 year old aunt running out of $$ How do we find a social

Customer Question

99 year old aunt running out of $$
How do we find a social worker to advise on services including how to relocate her when she has no funds at all?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I note that this is more an issue of money than it is a legal question or legal problem, and therefore options are quite limited. Is your aunt suitable for placement into a nursing home?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do we find a social worker to understand the legal rights and benefits available?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.


Well you could contact the local county social services office, of if there is one available in her area, an Area Agency on Aging where your aunt lives---but what you will find is that short of food stamps low income housing and perhaps SSI benefits, there is little that she will be entitled to if she wants to live on her own.

A nursing home setting would be paid fully by Medicaid in her state if she has no assets and that would include food, shelter and basic medical services available in the home.

Nursing homes also have social workers on staff who can assist you in planning for entry into the nursing home as well as benefits available on the outside before she relocates to the nursing home.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doug, I'm in the habit of working through experts' answers.

If we can't be more specific than "contact the local county social services office," I'd like to ask you to throw the question back in the pool for another expert. There are attorneys who specialize in this area; should we give one a chance?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jeff,

I'm at a loss as to what you are really asking for here---a direct referral to a licensed social worker somewhere in CA?

Your only question asked how to find a social worker.

Your question is quite vague given that I know nothing of your aunt, where she lives, her real financial status, etc.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
New Expert here.
Is she receiving any type of social security benefits?
In which County does she reside?

Related Family Law Questions