How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29816
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Loaned my snowblower to my wifes daughter and her husband

Customer Question

Loaned my snowblower to my wifes daughter and her husband several years ago. Asked daughter if they were still in need of it. She told me her husband broke the handle and he would fix it. My wife and I just found out they are moving in days to nc. Have been calling and sent a letter with no reply. I went to home. Did not see the snowblower. Went to daughters workplace. See said she did not know where it was and she would have her husband contact me. Me and my wife have recieved no contact and they are leaving in 2 days!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
The statute of limitations to recover property from someone in New York is unfortunately only 3 years. If you loaned it to them several years ago and never asked for it back until recently, a judge is most likely going to find that it was a gift or abandoned and that you therefore do not have a right to get it back (or to get the value).
To recover against them, you'll have to prove that you had an agreement that they would return the snow blower at some point within the past three years. The best way to do that is if you have emails or texts. If your wife's daughter's statement that her husband was fixing the handle was made within that time period, that might be used as proof that they acknowledged needing to return the snow blower.
You're unfortunately not going to be able to get a trial within the next two days. You can sue in New York and seek to enforce a judgment against them in North Carolina - a judge would give you the value of the snow blower.
It is possible to go to the district court and file a Request for Temporary Injunction, asking the judge to prohibit them from taking the snow blower out of the state. But that's something that you would need to file today so you could serve it on them tomorrow, and if they don't actually have the snow blower any more, it might not help you. The other problem is, to get an injunction, you have to be able to show the judge that you will be irreparably harmed if they're allowed to take it with them. That means convincing him that you won't be able to recover money from them after they move. A local attorney may be able to help you get an injunction, but will likely cost more than the snow blower. So it may be better to look at samples online or visit a law library for help.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions