How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Huband, Esq. Your Own Question
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable family law attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Huband, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to celebrity millionaire in NYC, now I found

Customer Question

I was married to celebrity millionaire in NYC, now I found out he was formerly married to a woman sent to a witness protection program with a new identity and he got a new SS # ***** We recently got divorced and now I lost 1,7M $. Do I have a case to SUE
him and/or his Family Estate? I never got a Fair Settlement. desperate
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. I answered the other question you posed for a higher value but it was locked. Below is my answer which covers that question and this one.
Q) Do I have a case?
If your ex never divorced his former wife, he was never legally married to you. That means he couldn't have been divorced from you since you two were never legally married. Unless people are married or are registered domestic partners, the attributes of divorce (an equitable division of marital assets) doesn't apply.
His actions may be criminal in nature as well. If he used your marriage to effectively defraud you out of money, that's potentially a crime.
Contact your local law enforcement. They may refer you to the FBI, I'm not sure.
You should also seek help from a top-notch divorce attorney who can file a motion to set aside your divorce judgment. That would "un-do" the judgment where you lost so much money. You and he would only be entitled to what you owned in name title, not anything of what the other "spouse" owned or acquired during the marriage.
I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.
Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.
Best wishes to you,
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
I'm writing to follow up on your question. Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? I hope I've been hopeful to you.
If you need clarification about my answer, please ask. Otherwise, please let me know what else I can do, if anything, to earn a positive rating from you.
Thanks again for using our service!
Read more:

Related Family Law Questions