How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102138
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I filed and file the paper at the courthouse

Customer Question

My husband and I filed for divorce and file the paper at the courthouse as instructed we were under the impression we did not need a lawyer because it was nothing to fight over no assets just a simple divorce. Now I have a letter stating I have to be in court along withhim to finalize the divorce. The problem is I am now working in Ohio and not in Georgia so being there will be extremely difficult. Can I hire a lawyer now? Or get a signed affidavit represent me or is there any other option rather than me having to actually go there 1000 miles away to finalize this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Yes, an attorney may still be hired at the last second. And/or, a party can file a Motion for Telephonic Hearing to allow them to appear via telephone/video. This is at the court's discretion. It is best to use an attorney to file said motion anyhow, if one attempts to do so.
Normally, the Court would allow ONLY ONE party to appear in an UNCONTESTED divorce. If this is the case (check with the clerk), one can file a waiver. If it is not the case, then I am afraid that one would need to retain counsel to help finalize this, and/or, file a motion to appear via telephone/video (but again, the Judge can say no to this request).
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.