Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I am 7 months pregnant and I am no longer with the baby's

Customer Question

I am 7 months pregnant and I am no longer with the baby's father.
Can I request for help before baby is born?
I am also concern about child custody.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
You unfortunately cannot request help until the baby is born, because the court's only have jurisdiction over a living, breathing child. You can file for custody and support as soon as you'd like after you have the child.
Until there is a court order in place, you and the father have equal custody. That's one of the reasons it's important to get a court order early on. This site has all of the information you need to establish custody, along with the forms you can use.
http://www.courts.ca.gov/1185.htm
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Good luck.
Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I more quick question. I am working only freelance and not bringing in enough income at the moment. Please advice if it will affect custody. The father is working but he has 3 other children from two
different ex wives. I am also concern about custody and he had past legal battles with ex wives that I don't want my child to be apart of.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Income has no impact on custody, because the father can be ordered to pay child support to help you. The judge just wants to see that you can provide a stable, caring home for the child.
If the father is only seeking custody to avoid paying support, that's usually fairly obvious to the judge.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any more questions on this? I need you to come back and rate my responses or the site keeps 100% of the deposit you paid and I get $0 for the time I spent helping you.
Thank you for your time and consideration.