How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3459
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had temporary Custody of my niece and nephew since

Customer Question

i have had temporary Custody of my niece and nephew since may 2010 Father was murdered and mother was involved.but not charged with his murder but she still in prison. we are having some problems with the grandmother and the mother now keeping the kids upset and all. sow we are trying to figure out if we have any rights that would allow us to take full custody or even adopt them
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

I see you have discussed this with your attorney and he has related that there is the possibility of filing for permanent custody, but he suggests not moving forward with it now. What further question can I answer for you?



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I guess I'm wondering what I should do and if we really have a chance and if we are doing the right thing. I'm fine with this other than the grandmother and the mother that have already starting making trouble and it will only get worse when mother is out of prison because she thinks she is gonna jump out here and we just hand the kids over to her
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Unfortunately without being your attorney and knowing the whole situation, whether you're doing the right thing or not is not really a question I can answer for you.

I will say that I tend to agree with your attorney. You already have custody of the child, so filing for permanent custody at this time doesn't seem like it will change anything significantly. If the mother gets out of prison and wants the children, things can always be handled then. Again though, without being your attorney its hard to say what the "right" move it. But, if you have custody of the children, it seems like you're okay or now.

If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
No problem!
If you valued my time, don't forget to leave a review. :)

Related Family Law Questions