How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sister-in-law had stroke and is living in NC year in

Customer Question

Sister-in-law had stroke and is living in NC for one year in September , How can we get guardianship and her mail coming to her home. mail was changed but has stopped. please help us to get all of her belongings from her home in Maryland and Washington DC
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have to file a petition for guardianship/conservatorship in the court in NC, since she is a NC resident now. Once you obtain guardianship/conservatorship over her in the court, then you can notify all of her creditors and anyone sending her mail to change her address and also you can go to the homes and remove all of her property. NC requires you use a local attorney to file the petition for guardianship in the court.