How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116787
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Complicated issue daughter who needs legal assistance

Customer Question

Complicated issue for adult foster daughter who needs legal assistance getting a government ID, drivers license, passport in the state of Missouri. She was taken from home early age into foster care, adopted, unadopted. We do not have finances to help her get her birth certificate and have been trying for years
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you gone to the local legal aid office or called the MO bar association, since they have pro bono attorneys who can assist those who cannot afford legal representation to go to court. The foster daughter would have to go to court to get an order for the birth certificate as you were told, which is why the congressional offices have not been able to assist. She would need to go to legal aid or call the state bar about the pro bono attorneys in her area who can provide her assistance to file the petition in court to unseal the records to obtain the birth records.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we tried that. But very complicated so people eventually stop being able to help because of the two legal jurisdiction, Randolph County in Missouri and the military base in Georgia period started with legal aid xcetera but they couldn't get anywhere so that's why we went to local congressman in Missouri hand same experience they help for a while but then because of the multiple jurisdictions weren't able to continue. Do you know if someplace like the naacp or other organisations like that could help with this type of case? She is part Korean racially, born to an American GI on the military base in Georgia. We have been trying to help her ever since the law changed after 9/11 requiring a birth certificate for her to get a driver's license. She has not been able to get a job, get on a plane, or any normal things and now her teenage daughter is having problems getting things because often mom is required to have a valid government ID, like a passport. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid that the NAACP will not get involved, but if the suit has to be brought in GA because that is where the birth occurred, then you need to contact the GA bar and ask them for pro bono assistance or you can call the local law schools in GA to ask for their law clinic to try to get her assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I am open to paying the full amount however and when I set up the appointment it said it required a $5 deposit, but charged my paypal account $36. How do I go about fixing that.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry, the experts are not employees of this site, so we have no control over nor do we know anything about the deals the customers have with the site. We are independent users of the site like you are. So you would have to contact customer service at and discuss any payment issues with them. I do apologize and wish I could assist on this issue about payment, but I have no way of doing so.

Related Family Law Questions