How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just retire from the military and about to get divorce. Do

Customer Question

I just retire from the military and about to get divorce. Do i have to give the half of my pension to my wife future to be my ex... ?
we been married for 10 years
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
Thank you for your patience as I looked into this for you.
Typically the courts will only award 50% of the pension that was earned during the marriage; it would not be just to award someone 50% of a pension that took a lifetime to earn, after being married for only a decade.
This is from a different state, but please see Fact #1- it explains the concept - which applies in all states as pensions are federal issues:
For more information please review:
The USFSPA allows state courts to grant up to half of a service member’s retirement pension to his ex-wife during divorce proceedings, and not more than that- that is the limit.
The judge will determine what the non - military spouse's interest is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link to locate an attorney:
Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,
kindly rate positively
as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.