How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2512
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has an ongoing custody case. In April, a judge who is

Customer Question

My son has an ongoing custody case. In April, a judge who is no longer hearing the case ordered my son to have a "limited scope evaluation to address the issues of Mr Gomes' drug and alcohol use, PTSD,Parental absence, and related fitness issues"
He has attended 6 sessions of this "evaluation" but is not happy with Dr Lavit. He feels like this doctor is taking everything the mother says as gospel, and makes him feel like crap every time he leaves the office. Because I take care of the legal issues for him, the doctor is now questioning the "odd relationship" that he and I have. He has gone so far as to tell us we have to come in for an appointment too at $300.
If this Dr says he is "not a councelor but a parenting facilitator" why would he be questioning things that have no bearing on his fitness as a father. I am required to go see him if the court has not specifically ordered it?
My son said last night " I feel like this guy is undoing all the progress I made with VA" Is it possible to have all the records transferred to another parent facilitator and if so, how do we do that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Sorry...not sure I understand the want to known if your son can demand the care provider provide him copies of his records?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that would be nice, though I doubt that is possible. He doesn't trust the guy. He appeared to fall asleep in one session, now he is questioning the reason I help my son with his legal papers. He has said things like "Jamie (mother) provides proof, where is yours?" This is regarding things that happened in high school 10 years ago! It has nothing to do with father's parenting ability. There are several internet reviews where this guy is a poor choice and after 3 months I think they might be accurate. Judge just granted a 4 week continuance.

He keeps drawing the process out, now says he wants to see my husband and I as well. What are our requirements, do we have to see him?

Is it possible to get an order to change parent faciliators?

I have advised my son to go see his VA psychiatrist and talk with him.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Is this care provider part of the VA? Contracted with the VA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, he name was suggested by the court. His name is***** in Phoenix

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
I do not have an answer for you, but will opt out and allow others to assist. I wish you the best of luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
he didn't know the answer
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 years ago.

If your son was only recommended to use this doctor and not ordered to, he can start over with a different doctor. I'm not sure which records you would want transferred. You are not required to meet with this doctor if you have not been ordered to do so or if you are not a party to the court proceeding. Not cooperating with evaluators, however, rarely helps the situation. Also, if your son switches to a different evaluator, it may look like he's forum shopping. Nonetheless, that would probably be better than getting a bad evaluation. Do you have any other questions?