Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My three grandkids live in Florida with my son and

Customer Question
daughter-inlaw. I live in...
My three grandkids live in Florida with my son and daughter-inlaw. I live in Maine...I go to florida every year for 4 or 5 months to see them...My daughter-in- law and I don't get along.. we just had a fight on the phone..Can she stop me from seing my grandchildren if I go to florida
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/10/2015
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

I'm sorry to hear this; it will be a few more minutes as I am almost finished working on my response. Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately the statute only allows for visitation if the parents are missing, dead, or in a persistent vegetative state

This is a new statute enacted this year. Florida is very restrictive on grandparent visitation, due to their concern to a parent's privacy right.

Most states allow visitation to grandparents if the parents are divorced.

Often times families will try mediation to resolve issues so as to not penalize the child.

One parent can authorize the visitation so if the grandparent has a good relationship with one parent, that can be explored.

If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please don't forget to leave a positive rating.

If you have further questions please post here. thanks!.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,
kindly rate positively
as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.
THANK YOU!
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer